I opened this blog to vent out any thoughts that I may have today and the future. A major thought that's been bothering me is the idea of moving to Vegas. Let me give you a little background on my decision why I moved here. May of 2006, I supposedly graduated college, but one class held me back. I can’t really blame the professor because I barely put any effort in that class. Being a typical college student, I barley even studied on my last semester. Considering I only “failed” one class, not bad, right? I was only 1% away from getting a passing grade. Well, anyways, after “graduation”, I enjoyed my summer and traveled around the United States till my money was exhausted.
The following fall semester, I completed the class with flying colors considering I already knew the material; on top of that, I had a great professor. During the semester, I stayed at my parent’s house, so I commuted from Pittsburg to Sacramento twice a week (It’s an hour and a half one way). I also worked “part-time” at Best Buy. The reason why I quoted part-time was because I expected to only work at least 20 hours a week just to help pay off my debts from my travels, but I found myself working almost 40 hours a week. The reason I chose to work at Best Buy because I used to be employed by them when I was 18-years-old. I knew that they would re-hire me because of my experience.
When I finished my class in Sacramento State, I asked my managers if there was any room on the corporate ladder. Of course they would say yes. Just like before when I was 18, “Best Buy” broke their promises as months just passed by. I became really frustrated with my store and I clearly vented it out with my ex co-workers. I felt like I didn’t really improve in my life considering I was doing the EXACT same job when I was 18.
Oh yeah, before I forget, during this time I worked at Best Buy, I was dating a girl who I knew my whole life and the relationship ended. I was truly heart broken that it ended, but the only person to blame is me. I’m the one who decided to leave… So fast forward to April of 2007. I became really frustrated with my life and decided I needed a major change. So basically I packed up my things to move to Vegas knowing that the job market is great over here.
I applied to tons of jobs, and I got a few offers, but it didn’t really suit what I wanted as a career. A month and a half passed, and my savings was just slowly depleting. I knew I was being really picky and I told myself that whoever offers the next job position, “suck it up and accept it.” Now I work at a local college as a teacher assistant. It’s a great job because I barely do anything. I can honestly say that I work hard only for 2 hours a day. On top of that, the head of my department is short staffed, so I’ve been working overtime like crazy. Here’s an idea what I do. I come in around noon, file some things and then I sit at my desk. I bring things from home to keep me entertained, for example, I bought the program Rosetta Stone to learn Tagalog. I’ve always wanted to learn my native tongue, so it’s a great opportunity to learn right now since I have a lot of free time. About 6ish, I have to read to the college students. After I read, I take my dinner. Then around 7, I pop in a movie that I brought from home. This is one of the best jobs that I ever had. I get paid to study and watch movies!!!
Okay, that was a big background. If you forgot the reason why I am writing this blog, here is a recap. Was moving to Vegas a good idea? This is the way I see it. Here are the positives: I have total freedom, I don’t have to deal with family drama on a daily basis, my skills on the piano and guitar increased, I found the time to study Tagalog, I chose a new career (more on that later, maybe on a different blog), and one of the best jobs in my life. Some negatives: Missing family events, just the ordinary weekly visit at my cousin’s house, I really hate the feeling of leaving my family every time I visit the bay, it seems like I’m spending more money than ever, I have no close family members here in Vegas, no close friends, and it seems like I’m always hungry. I eat my normal 3 to 4 meals a day, but it’s not always home cook meals that would fill me up. I can cook, but I just don’t have the time because I work so much. On top of that, I plan to get a second job to help relieve my credit debt, so I definitely won’t have anytime to myself.
So was moving to Vegas the right thing? I don’t know =/
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Cousin...in all honesty, I DO think that it was the right thing to move away. Even if it was for a short time, it was time for you to figure out what you really want to do with your life. Sometimes we have to step back in order to see the bigger picture meant for us, know what I mean?
I know you agree with me, but everything happens for a reason, right? Take whatever happens as lessons learned.
Keep up the writing, lil' cuz...glad to see you in blogworld!
Post a Comment