Saturday, August 18, 2007

No Support...

I am bothered by something that I heard today. I tried calling people to vent this out, but it’s Friday night, and people tend to busy. I don’t blame them for “not” being there because if I was back in the bay, I would be out too.

I labeled this blog “No Support” because there is someone I know that I feel I have no support in my life decisions. A little background is needed so this blog can make sense. Growing up, I always been confident in what I wanted to do. Every where I went, I would say I want to be a doctor. As I grew up, I found other interest that distracted me, for example computers. I always found computers easy to understand, so a period of my life I was studying computer engineering. But the college life distracted me from that, so I decided to change my major to business. Having a business degree can open a lot of doors because basically our entire world depends on business theories.

So I am out here in Vegas trying the business thing, but I found out that I don’t like it. The business world consists of being a competitive person, and that’s not really me. I tend to go with the flow and enjoy life. Being here in Vegas, I was able to do a lot of soul searching and decided to go back to school for a nursing degree. I basically resurrected the idea of being in healthcare. I feel that I made a great life decision.

My parents are fully supportive in my decision. Growing up, my parents didn’t really express how they felt with my decisions unless it was against what they believe. When I had a long talk with my mom about being a nurse, she was extremely happy. When I attended my grandparents going away party, my mom would not stop talking about it. I can tell she was very proud of me. When my dad and I were cleaning the house, I did my normal complaining and said I don’t want to have another party here in the house because I’m tired of cleaning last minute. His response was, “We are going to throw a big party when you graduate from the nursing program.” He was straight up serious. Like I mentioned before, my parents are supportive, but they just don’t express it. It’s the greatest feeling to know and see how much they approve of my decision to pursue my nursing career.

Here is the thing that is bothering me. One person that shows lack of support is my older sister. Before I moved here, a mutual friend told me that my sister thinks the idea of moving to Vegas is a bad and stupid one. I was determined to find a job and prove her wrong. Like I said on my old blog, I’m glad that I moved here because I decided to pursue my career (nursing). Then today, I talked to my cousin, and I got the impression she doesn’t support me once again. One of her responses was, “You don’t know my brother.” What does that suppose to mean? I know I’m not a quitter. I do change my mind a lot, but I do my best to finish the objective. When I was talking to my cousin, he defended me and told her not to underestimate me. THANK YOU KUYA!!! THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME.

My whole life, she treated me like s**t. When we entered that age where I thought I can hang out with her friends, she would push me away. If by chance, she invited me to one of her parties/gatherings; it feels like my presence was a nu sense. When she lived in San Diego, I went and visited her, and the moment I got in the car, I got an ear full of yelling because I told her I wanted to go to Church because when I went to Diego, it was Holy week. She got mad at me because I guess she had other plans and straight up told me I’m not like other college students. She had no right to yell at me because I wanted to show respect to my religious beliefs. A similar situation happened again when I came back to the bay for my auntie’s wedding. She had attitude with me as soon as I got in the car. I tried my hardest not to give attitude back to her, but there was so much stress in the air, I had to yell back at her after 30 minutes of yelling from her. On top of that, she doesn’t even ask for something, she tells me to do it. I just tell her now, “Why don’t you ask instead of demand,” and walk away because I don’t want to show her that I got mad at her. I don’t understand why she treats me this way. What did I do to her?

I tell my parents how she treats me, and they just tell me that’s how your sister is. I can’t accept that because no human being should be treated the way she treats me. I was always taught respect your elders, but the way she treats me, I’m at the point where I believe, “In order to get respect, you have to give respect.” Because of the lack of support from my sister, it’s just giving more fuel to finish my schooling. Maybe, just maybe, this will shut her up and treat me better.

1 comment:

MnM said...

Wow lil' cuz...I'm not even going to try and understand your relationship with your sis. But I know that you and I believe that all things happen for a reason. You said it yourself, she gives you more fuel to push yourself harder. We all go through the "growing pains" with family...I know I did with Ate! But look at us now...best friends! Sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture of things, but I'm sure that there is a reason and method to all the madness...hang in there...